Measurements of levels of 17α-OHP are useful in the evaluation of patients with suspected congenital adrenal hyperplasia as the typical enzymes that are defective, namely 21-hydroxylase and 11β-hydroxylase , lead to a build-up of 17α-OHP. In contrast, the rare patient with 17α-hydroxylase deficiency will have very low or undetectable levels of 17α-OHP. 17α-OHP levels can also be used to measure contribution of progestational activity of the corpus luteum during pregnancy as progesterone but not 17α-OHP is also contributed by the placenta .
- Sweet tasting and neither warming nor cooling in effect, aromatic.
- Seeds considered hemostatic.
- Considered antiinflammatory, antipyretic, diuretic, emmenagogue, febrifuge, purgative, rubefacient.
· Decoction of bark is used as purgative, emmenagogue, and febrifuge. Latex is similarly employed.
· Preventive for heat stroke: the material may be taken as a cooling tea.
· Root-bark taken internally as a strong purgative.
· Root-bark used as abortifacient.
· Root bark used as remedy for gonorrhea and venereal sores.
· Bark decoction used as antiherpetic.
· Used in treatment of ulcers, herpes, scabies.
· Bruised bark use as plaster over hard tumors.
· In India , bark used as purgative. Bark also used as application for abscesses.
· In Java and Madera , bark decoction used for gonorrhea, dropsy, and dysuria due to venereal disease.
· In Yucatan , latex is used for toothache.
· In Persia , bark is employed against blenorrhagia.
· For dysentery, diarrhea during summer season: use 12 to 24 gms of dried material in decoction.
· Arthritis, rheumatism, pruritic skin lesions: Mix the latex (sap) with coconut oil, warm, and apply to affected area.
· Decoction of the bark is used as a counterirritant on the gums for toothache.
· The latex mixed with coconut oil is used for itching.
· The juice is rubefacient in rheumatic pains, and with camphor, is also used for itching.
· A poultice of heated leaves is beneficial for swellings.
· Decoction of leaves for cracks and eruptions of the soles of the feet.
· Infusion or extract from leaves is used for asthma. Leaves also used as cigarettes to inhale in asthma.
· In Puerto Rico , in emulsion, the milk produces abundant, bilious, watery stools.
· In Mexico , decoction of flowers used in diabetes.
3 years and older:
Treatment: 10 mg orally 5 times a day for 14 days
Prophylaxis: 10 mg orally 3 times a day for the duration of chemotherapy OR until steroids are reduced to maintenance levels
-Safety and efficacy of treatment doses given for a prolonged duration have not been established. Treatment should be limited to short-term use when possible.
-Local treatment of oropharyngeal candidiasis that has been confirmed by a KOH smear of other culture before treatment.
-Prophylaxis to reduce the incidence of oropharyngeal candidiasis in patients who are immunocompromised (., chemotherapy, radiotherapy, steroid therapy in the treatment of leukemia, solid tumors, or renal transplantation)